The freed Lockerbie bomber on Friday launched a website where he published documents with the aim of proving his innocence in the 1988 bombing of an American airliner over Scotland in which 270 people died.
The former Libyan agent, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi, released information "which he hopes will establish his innocence" on the website, megrahimystory.net, his Scottish lawyer Tony Kelly said.
Megrahi said in the news release issued by Kelly's law firm: "I have returned to Tripoli with my unjust conviction still in place."
"As a result of the abandonment of my appeal I have been deprived of the opportunity to clear my name through the formal appeal process."
"I have vowed to continue my attempts to clear my name. I will do everything in my power to persuade the public, and in particular the Scottish public, of my innocence."
Megrahi's website issued documents relating to the first leg of his appeal in which his defense counsel questioned the identification process and other evidence the prosecution had used to link Megrahi to the bombing in the original trial.
Asked by Reuters if he was connected with the website, Kelly said: "No, it's published by Mr Megrahi himself."
He would not comment on Megrahi's health.
"Worst terrorist atrocity"
Scotland's top law officer strongly criticized the move, saying Megrahi had chosen the "selective publication of his view of the evidence in the media."
"Mr Megrahi remains convicted of the worst terrorist atrocity in UK history," top public prosecutor, Lord Advocate Elish Angiolini, said.
Megrahi insists that he sympathizes with the victims' families.
"I hope that this can assist in the understanding of my case, especially for those who have been most profoundly affected by it," he said in the statement issued by his lawyers.
More documents will be put online in coming days. "Mr. Megrahi hopes to continue to publish details of his appeal challenge in the course of the forthcoming weeks," said a spokesman for Megrahi's lawyers.
Megrahi was released from a Scottish jail on Aug. 20 on compassionate grounds after medical advice said the 57-year-old prisoner would likely die within three months from spreading prostate cancer. He is now in hospital in Tripoli.
Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill's decision to release him caused outrage in the United States and political turmoil in Britain, including questions about oil links between Britain and Libya. Scotland has its own legal system separate from the rest of Britain.
Megrahi was convicted of the bombing by a special Scottish court sitting in the Netherlands in 2002, and an appeal against his 27-year sentence was rejected the following year.
The Scottish criminal review commission said in 2007, however, that there appeared to be a danger he had been a victim of a miscarriage of justice, and a second appeal opened early this year.