Egypt's public prosecutor has issued an order that imposes a travel ban on former President Hosni Mubarak and his family while complaints against them are being investigated, a prosecutor's spokesman said on Monday.
He did not detail the complaints, but the prosecutor's spokesman Adel al-Saeed said an official order had been issued, adding that the order also put a freeze on their money and assets.
The decision applied for Mubarak's wife Suzanne, his two sons Alaa and Gamal, and their wives, the same source said.
Few days ago, official media quoted Mubarak's legal representative as saying the former president had submitted to authorities a declaration of his wealth and that he had no assets abroad. The former president is currently residing in his estate at the distant Red Sea resort of Sharm al-Sheikh.
On Feb. 21, Egypt's prosecutor general Abdel Magid Mahmoud requested a freeze on the foreign assets of the former president and his family.
The prosecutor charged Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit with contacting foreign countries to seek the assets freeze.
A judicial official said at the time that the prosecutor's office had received several complaints regarding Mubarak's wealth being outside the country, "which necessitates an investigation."
Mubarak is widely thought to have grown wealthy during his rule, but an unidentified legal adviser has been quoted as saying talk of a multi-billion-dollar fortune was nothing but "a groundless rumour".
France said on Wednesday last week that it would back the Egyptian request.
"We are also working with our European partners to respond best to the request from the Egyptian authorities," said French foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.
Switzerland, which froze Mubarak's assets within hours of his resignation, previously said the former president had "tens of millions of francs" in Swiss financial institutions.
Mubarak, 82, has not been seen publicly since he stepped down, amid speculation about his health.