From a design-focused retail outlet created to showcase the talent of Dubai’s creative community to practical workshops for art enthusiasts to family-focused activities that contribute to art education initiatives in the region, Art Dubai 2011 will offer a range of public programs and activities for all audiences.
Through its specially designed program, Art Dubai offers a host of events and interests for the wider community, engaging families, students, and art lovers as well as established artists, collectors and museum groups.
“Whether you’re a first-time visitor to Art Dubai or are returning for our fifth edition, there will be something that captures your imagination, from our 81 participating galleries, daily workshops and talks at the Global Art Forum-5 to our dynamic program of installations, performances radio dispatches and non-commercial exhibitions,” said Antonia Carver, Fair Director, Art Dubai.
Among the public programs are: Artists’ Tours of the fair halls; DXB Store, a retail outlet featuring limited edition products by UAE-based creative; THE BIG IDEA, a dynamic forum for artists and designers living and working in the Emirates; video screenings, radio dispatches, artists’ talks and workshops designed by Art Dubai, Bidoun Projects and the Island; and workshops on geometry and pattern-making for children led by START, a non-profit organization that provides arts education for disadvantaged children in the region.
“Simply attending Art Dubai enables thousands of visitors to encounter artists, curators, filmmakers and other visionaries, sharing firsthand the latest developments in the Middle East’s contemporary arts landscape. You can even take home an original artwork, a one-off piece such as a handmade iPod cover or ceramic plate from our new platform for UAE-based artists and designers,” Carver added.
A selection of must-see and must-do activities at Art Dubai 2011 includes:
- The return of the popular interactive artists’ tours of Art Dubai, this year commissioned from Malak Helmy and Abhishek Hazra; explore the gallery halls through the eyes of the artists (see www.artdubai.ae for times and details).
- Film screenings and discussions with renowned artists Wael Shawky and Sherif El-Azma in the Art Park, designed by Bidoun Projects on Thursday and Friday evening.
- Performances by artists including renowned Lebanese artist-filmmakers Joana Hadjithomas and Khalil Joreige, talks, books launches and workshops in the Art Park, daily at the fair.
- For the duration of the fair, Bidoun Projects will present a live mural, painted and repainted each day with interpretations of ‘labor’, a theme that has been integral to the development and growth of cities in the region. The mural will see the work of renowned artists – Ali Chitsaz and Mounir Al Solh in collaboration with Bassam Ramlawi among them.
- THE BIG IDEA: UAE-based artists and designers present new projects and debate the future of the arts scene in this fast-paced dynamic forum, in the Art Park, from 17.30 – 19.00 on Friday, March 18.
- Visitors of the fair can catch artists’ talks at gallery stands, including Faiza Butt at Grosvenor Vadehra as well as Raafat Ishak discussing his own installation, a work three years in the making, at Sutton Gallery on Thursday 17th March between 18.00 – 19.00 in addition to curators’ tours, book launches, and much more.
- START family workshop with artist Stephen E. Meakin on geometry and pattern-making from 16:30 – 19:00 on Friday, March 18 - welcoming children to participate in Meakin’s exciting workshop and create their own Mandala art piece to take home, teaching children interesting new techniques and interacting one on one with the artist in the buzzing surroundings of Art Dubai.
On Wednesday, March 16 from 11.30 – 15.00, Art Dubai is open exclusively for Ladies’ Day, held under the Patronage of Her Royal Highness Sheikha Manal bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, President of Dubai Women Establishment, Wife of HH Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs UAE.
Art Dubai will open to the public on Thursday March 16 at 4pm and will be open between the following times during the fair.
WEDNESDAY MARCH 16
11.30 – 15.00 (Ladies Only
THURSDAY MARCH 17
16.00 – 21.30
FRIDAY MARCH 18
12.00 – 19.30
SATURDAY MARCH 19
12.00 – 17.30
Admission to Art Dubai is Dhs50. Tickets are available at the door.