Seif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, has been attacked in detention in Libya, a lawyer from the International Criminal Court said on Thursday.
“Qaddafi has been physically attacked,” ICC defense official Xavier-Jean Keita said in a statement accusing Libyan authorities of depriving the country’s onetime favorite son of his fundamental rights.
“He also suffers pain due to the absence of dental treatment,” the lawyer said in a statement.
Seif al-Islam is wanted on charges of crimes against humanity for his role in trying to put down the uprising to unseat his father in Libya last year.
Keita, who is from the ICC’s Office of Public Counsel for the Defense (OPCD) and is acting as Seif’s primary counsel, did not say when the attack took place or give any further details.
Keita said Seif’s “effective representation cannot be secured in a setting in which the OPCD has no ability to conduct privileged communications with Qaddafi on an ongoing basis, or to transmit privileged documents to him.
“Qaddafi has been interviewed by domestic authorities without the benefit of legal representation, and has been provided misleading information concerning the status of domestic investigations against him,” the statement said.
Also Thursday, the global police agency Interpol issued alerts seeking the arrest of two senior officials in Muammar Qaddafi’s ousted regime on suspicion of torture and kidnapping.
A statement from the France-based body said Libya had requested assistance in detaining two officials identified as former interior minister Al-Senussi Alozyre, 63, and his former deputy Naser al-Mabruk, 60.
They are “accused of a range of offences including carrying out illegal arrests, unjustified deprivation of personal liberty and torture.”
Several other Libyan officials are subject to Interpol “Red Notice” arrest requests, including the dictator’s surviving sons and his former intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi, who is being held in Mauritania.
“They are wanted for crimes against humanity and they have escaped Libya,” a senior interior ministry official told AFP in Tripoli, adding that their whereabouts remain unknown.
Alozyre, who was the last interior minister under Qaddafi’s ousted regime, oversaw the dictator’s internal security agencies in the east of the country. He is accused of taking part in the former regime’s crackdown on Islamists during the 1980s and 1990s.
Former rebels briefly detained him after the start of the revolution in February last year but tribal reportedly leaders obtained his liberation.
He fled to Egypt and then Tunis before returning to Tripoli and assuming his post as Qaddafi’s final interior minister in March 2011.
Alozyre reportedly fled after the fall of Tripoli in August. Mabruk, who served in the interior ministry, also reportedly escaped after former rebels took over the capital.