President Barack Obama has ordered a review of potential threats facing the United States ahead of the anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden, the White House said on Thursday, but stressed that there was no concrete evidence of an attack being planned.
“At this time, we have no credible information that terrorist organizations, including al-Qaeda, are plotting attacks in the United States to coincide with the anniversary of Bin Laden’s death,” White House press secretary Jay Carney said.
U.S. commandos killed bin Laden last year in a raid on his compound in Pakistan that took place before dawn May 2 local time, which was May 1 in the United States.
“However, we assess that AQ’s affiliates and allies remain intent on conducting attacks in the homeland, possibly to avenge the death of Bin Laden, but not necessarily tied to the anniversary,” Carney told reporters at the White House.
The killing of the man behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks sent hundreds of Americans onto U.S. streets in celebration, but it fanned anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, which was severely embarrassed by the raid on the compound just a few hours’ drive from Islamabad.
“The president thanked his team and directed them to take all necessary measures to protect the American people,” Carney said.