Egyptian president Mohammed Mursi apologized for the constant power outages that have recently plagued the country and admitted to having the same problem in his own house.
“I am sorry for the power cuts. I have the same problem at home and I promise it will be solved as soon as possible,” Mursi said in a popular conference in the governorate of Luxor in Upper Egypt.
Mursi added that he would be working day and night until the problem is solved while the new Minister of Electricity Mahmoud Balbaa promised that the coming week will witness “remarkable progress.”
“We will have finished the experimental operation of the first unit of the Abu Qir power station with a capacity of 650 megawatts then we’ll start the second unit,” Balbaa said in a statement Thursday.
Balbaa explained that the total electricity consumption in Egypt has so far reached 2,000 megawatts and called upon Egyptians to cut down on consumption.
Several districts in the capital Cairo have lately been going through daily power cuts that could last for several hours. Further south in the governorates of Assuit, Sohag, al-Wadi al-Gadid, Minya, Fayoum, and Beni Suef power cuts could last for the entire day.
Power cuts drove Egyptians across the country to stage a series of protests some of which blocked railway lines and highways.