Last Updated: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:38 am (KSA) 08:38 am (GMT)

Mubarak’s trial resumes in Cairo; lawyers accuse Egypt’s army ruler of ‘false testimony’

A supporter of Egypt’s former President Hosni Mubarak, wearing his picture and holding a sign, stands outside the police academy where his trial will take place in Cairo. (Reuters)
A supporter of Egypt’s former President Hosni Mubarak, wearing his picture and holding a sign, stands outside the police academy where his trial will take place in Cairo. (Reuters)

The trial of Egypt’s former president Hosni Mubarak, his two sons Alaa and Gamal, his former interior minister Habib al-Adly and six other security aides, was resumed at a Cairo court on Tuesday.

They face charges ranging from corruption to involvement in the deaths of around 850 protesters during the uprising that unseated him last February.

On Monday, ten lawyers representing the civil society complainants at the trial of Mubarak demanded adding high treason to the charges, accusing the ousted president of premeditated murder, incitement, complicity in killing protesters and failure to stop violence against them, Egypt’s daily al-Masry al-Youm reported.

Lawyer Amir Salem also demanded charging former vice president and intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, and head of the ruling military council Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi of perjury and obstruction of justice in light of their testimony before the court last September, the report said.

Both close associates of Mubarak throughout his rule, have reportedly testified in favor of the ousted president in court sessions that were closed to the media.

Salem requested that Judge Ahmed Refaat “order the prosecutors to file a charge of giving false testimony to Field Marshal Tantawi.”

Tantawi, the head of the ruling military council, who was Mubarak’s defense minister for 20 years, and Suleiman, who commanded the general intelligence services, were considered to have been close to the former president.

No official has yet been convicted over the killing of protesters during the 18-day revolt. Mubarak and the other defendants deny any responsibility for the deaths.

Tantawi and Suleiman gave witness accounts under a media blackout in September but attending lawyers said they denied knowing that Mubarak had given orders to fire at protesters.

“The defendants violated the riot act when they closed off all entrance points to Tahrir Square, not leaving one safe exit for protesters,” said Khaled Abu Bakr, another lawyer for the victims, according to Reuters.

“(Former Interior Minister Habib) al-Adly utilized all means of suppression against protesters to show he was saving the regime of Mubarak,” he said.

The prosecution last week demanded “death by hanging” for Mubarak.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »