Last Updated: Mon Mar 12, 2012 17:52 pm (KSA) 14:52 pm (GMT)

Taliban vows revenge for U.S. soldier rampage as Washington seeks to contain damage

A U.S. soldier in Afghanistan wandered off base and allegedly gunned down 16 villagers in their homes in the Kandahar Province. (Reuters)
A U.S. soldier in Afghanistan wandered off base and allegedly gunned down 16 villagers in their homes in the Kandahar Province. (Reuters)

Afghanistan’s Taliban insurgents Monday vowed revenge against “sick minded American savages” for the murderous rampage by a U.S. soldier who killed 16 villagers in their homes.

The Taliban would “take revenge from the invaders and the savage murderers for every single martyr,” the hardline Islamist group said in a statement on their website, according to AFP.

President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta both called Afghan President Hamid Karzai to express their condolences after a U.S. soldier in Afghanistan wandered off base and allegedly gunned down 16 villagers, and Panetta vowed to “bring those responsible to justice.”

In a statement released Sunday by the White House, Obama said, “This incident is tragic and shocking, and does not represent the exceptional character of our military and the respect that the United States has for the people of Afghanistan.”

Panetta said a full investigation was under way, The Associated Press reported.

The killing of 16 Afghan villagers in Kandahar province by an American soldier could hurt efforts to reach a strategic pact with Kabul to allow a long-term U.S. presence in the country, an Afghan government official told Reuters on Monday.

“This could delay the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement,” said the official.

The shootings come at a particularly sensitive and critical time for the U.S., just as violence over the burning of Muslim holy books at a U.S. base was starting to calm down. The killings could further fuel calls for a more rapid withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.

U.S. officials said the service member was being detained in Kandahar and the military was treating at least five wounded. One U.S. official said the soldier, an Army staff sergeant, was believed to have acted alone and said initial reports indicated he returned to the base after the shooting and turned himself in.

A U.S. official said the suspect is a conventional soldier from Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state.

Another U.S. official said the sergeant is married and has two children. He served three tours in Iraq and had been serving his first deployment in Afghanistan since December.

He was assigned to support a special operations unit of either Green Berets or Navy SEALs engaged in a village stability operation. Such operations are among NATO’s best hopes for transitioning out of Afghanistan. They pair special operations troops with local villagers chosen by village elders to become essentially a sanctioned, armed neighborhood watch.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

Gen. John Allen, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, issued a statement pledging a “rapid and thorough investigation” into the shooting spree, and said the soldier will remain in U.S. custody.

The destruction of Quran copies in a fire pit used to burn garbage last month sparked violent protests that killed some 30 people. Six U.S. service members were killed in attacks by Afghan security forces since that incident, which U.S. officials have apologized for and said was accidental.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »