Last Updated: Wed Apr 25, 2012 21:14 pm (KSA) 18:14 pm (GMT)

ICC rejects Libya appeal on Seif al-Islam Qaddafi transfer request

Seif al-Islam Qaddafi is wanted by the International Criminal Court on for crimes against humanity. (Reuters)
Seif al-Islam Qaddafi is wanted by the International Criminal Court on for crimes against humanity. (Reuters)

The International Criminal Court on Wednesday threw out an appeal filed by Libya against the court’s demand that Muammar Qaddafi’s jailed son be transferred to The Hague.

The Libyan state had filed an appeal on April 6 against the ICC’s request for the immediate transfer of Seif al-Islam, wanted for crimes against humanity and detained in Libya in the aftermath of his father’s downfall.

“The Appeals Chamber therefore dismisses the appeal as inadmissible,” judges said in a document released by the international court.

The government set up after Qaddafi’s 42-year stranglehold on power came to bloody end has been adamant it wants to try Seif al-Islam and former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi in Libya.

The dead dictator’s 39-year-old son remains in the custody of a militia in the town of Zintan. Senussi, who is also wanted by France and Libya, is being held in Mauritania where he was arrested last month.

Last week, ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said on a visit to Tripoli on Wednesday that Seif al-Islam will face justice no matter where his trial is ultimately held.

“Judges of the ICC will decide who makes the trial,” Ocampo told AFP at the start of a three-day visit to the North African nation.

“The interesting thing is that the ICC wants to do justice on Seif (and) Libya wants to do justice on Seif, (so) there will be justice for Seif,” he stressed.

The fate of slain dictator Muammar Qaddafi’s son Seif al-Islam, who is wanted by the ICC for crimes against humanity, topped the agenda in his talks with senior Libyan officials.

Seif, who was arrested on November 19 in southern Libya, is being held in a secret detention center in Zintan, 180 kilometers (110 miles) southwest of Tripoli.

The ICC issued an arrest warrant for him in February 2011, when pro-Qaddafi forces sought to crush a popular uprising with brutal force.

The new authorities stress that they want to try Seif, 39, in his home country and are expected to challenge the ICC’s jurisdiction over the case.

“Libya says they will present the challenge in the end of April, so I need to be prepared,” said Ocampo.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »