Last Updated: Wed May 02, 2012 18:33 pm (KSA) 15:33 pm (GMT)

Libya says letter claiming Qaddafi funding of Sarkozy campaign ‘fake’

Chief of Libya’s National Transitional Council  Mustafa Abdel Jalil called on France to help Libya extradite Bashir Saleh, a former official who was implicated in the alleged campaign scandal. (File photo)
Chief of Libya’s National Transitional Council Mustafa Abdel Jalil called on France to help Libya extradite Bashir Saleh, a former official who was implicated in the alleged campaign scandal. (File photo)

A letter in which Muammar Qaddafi’s regime agreed to fund French President Nicolas Sarkozy’s 2007 election campaign appears to be fake, Libya’s National Transitional Council said Wednesday.

“We think that the letter is fake,” NTC chief Mustafa Abdel Jalil told a news conference in Tripoli.

Last month, the website Mediapart posted what it said was a 2006 document in Arabic signed by Qaddafi’s foreign intelligence chief Mussa Kussa referring to an “agreement in principle to support the campaign for the candidate for the presidential elections, Nicolas Sarkozy, for a sum equivalent to 50 million euros.”

At the news conference, Abdel Jalil also called on France to help Libya extradite Bashir Saleh, a former Libyan official who was implicated in the alleged campaign scandal.

The letter, which Sarkozy has dismissed as a “crude forgery”, was addressed to Saleh, Qaddafi’s former chief of staff and head of Libya’s $40 billion sovereign wealth fund, who currently resides in France.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »