Last Updated: Wed Jun 27, 2012 15:43 pm (KSA) 12:43 pm (GMT)

Reports of sale of chocolate-filled syringes in Dubai proven false

Concerned consumers in Dubai were alarmed when an image of medical syringes filled with the popular chocolate hazelnut spread, Nutella, was circulating in the social media. (File photo)
Concerned consumers in Dubai were alarmed when an image of medical syringes filled with the popular chocolate hazelnut spread, Nutella, was circulating in the social media. (File photo)

Alarm caused by medical syringes filled with chocolate available in the United Arab Emirates, causing the Dubai Municipality’s Food Control Department to issue a warning, had been proven false.

The image of syringes filled with a chocolate spread by Nutella that first surfaced on the social media site Dubai Moon’s Souq had been posted by 18-year-old Salem Mohammed al-Muhairi who hoped to make some extra pocket money, reported The National on Wednesday.

He claims he was merely posting pictures of a product that became so widely popular that his cousin, 20-year-old Jasem Mohammed al-Mansoori, started producing them.

“A lot of people have been doing this; the ads are all over the net and Blackberry, we are not the only ones. My cousins just wanted to make some money since people really liked the idea and there is a huge appeal for the product,” he was quoted as saying in The National.

The syringes were offered at a discounted price of AED 10 ($2.73) per piece. Allegedly only selling them to family members, Al-Muhairi got his supply from his cousin al-Mansoori “who has a sterile room in the house.” The teenagers created the chocolate-covered syringe but removed the needles.

Al-Muhairi’s identity was discovered shortly after ambiguity shrouded the availability of the product, especially when Nutella denied being behind the syringe.

“The Ministry of Health confirmed that the medical needles are not clean or sanitized and might be used in hospitals to take blood or inject medicine,” Khalid Sherif, Director of Food Control Department, had initially said in a press release, strongly advising the public not to purchase the product.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »