Last Updated: Mon Aug 20, 2012 20:22 pm (KSA) 17:22 pm (GMT)

Car of Egyptian diplomat blown up in Libya’s Benghazi

A car belonging to an Egyptian diplomat was blown up near his home in the eastern Libyan city Benghazi. (Reuters)
A car belonging to an Egyptian diplomat was blown up near his home in the eastern Libyan city Benghazi. (Reuters)

A car belonging to an Egyptian diplomat was blown up near his home in the eastern Libyan city Benghazi on Monday without causing any casualties, a day after deadly bomb attacks in the capital Tripoli blamed on supporters of deposed leader Muammar Qaddafi.

“Unidentified people in a vehicle that passed in front of the home of the first secretary at the Egyptian consulate threw a home-made device at his car which was parked outside,” the security official told AFP on condition of anonymity.

“The car exploded but no one was hurt,” he said.

Both Sunday and Monday’s attacks took place days ahead of the first anniversary of the capture of Tripoli by rebels during last year’s revolution.

The violence will test the mettle of a national assembly that made improving security a priority when it assumed control of the country earlier this month.

Three car bombs exploded near interior ministry and security buildings in the Libyan capital on Sunday, killing two people and wounding three others.

They were the first fatal attacks of their kind since Qaddafi’s overthrow and death last year after 42 years in power.

Libyan security officials said on Sunday they had arrested 32 members of an organized network of Qaddafi loyalists linked to the attacks.

Libya has been hit by persistent instability since the overthrow of Qaddafi. Authorities are still trying to disarm numerous groups, mostly militias who took part in the uprising, who refuse to lay down their weapons.

The International Committee of the Red Cross suspended its activities in Benghazi, Libya’s second biggest city, and Misrata after one of its compounds in Misrata was attacked with grenades and rockets.

The fate of seven Iranian relief workers, official guests of the Libyan Red Crescent Association, remains unknown almost three weeks after they were kidnapped by gunmen in the heart of Benghazi.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »