Last Updated: Tue Aug 21, 2012 00:50 am (KSA) 21:50 pm (GMT)

Libya will put Qaddafi’s son Seif on trial in September

Seif al-Islam Qaddafi was captured last year by a militia from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since. (Reuters)
Seif al-Islam Qaddafi was captured last year by a militia from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since. (Reuters)

Libya will put deposed dictator Muammar Qaddafi’s son on trial, defying a demand by the International Criminal Court, the Libyan representative to the Hague court said Monday.

Ahmed al-Jehani said the trial of Seif al-Islam Qaddafi will begin next month. One possible venue is Zintan, a town in the western mountains, where he is being held.

Seif al-Islam Qaddafi was considered his father’s political heir. The ICC issued an arrest warrant and demanded to try him on war crimes. Libya has argued that its new regime should try him.

Seif al-Islam Qaddafi was captured last year by a militia from the western mountain town of Zintan, where he has been held ever since.

A Zintan militia has been holding Qaddafi. Local spokesman Khaled al-Zintani said Monday a government delegation inspected the town before a decision is made on whether to try him there.

The ICC has expressed concern that Libya is not set up to give the younger Qaddafi a fair trial. During his four decades of rule, Qaddafi dismantled most institutions, setting himself up as the sole ruler.

After Qaddafi’s overthrow, capture and killing last year, interim rulers struggled to unite the country, leaving powerful militias and tribes in control of various areas. A newly elected parliament is working on appointing a Cabinet after choosing a president. Among its main tasks is to build a functioning judiciary.

Libya has insisted that it is capable of putting on a proper trial for Seif al-Islam Qaddafi. He has expressed a preference to be extradited to the Hague for trial.

Also Monday, a small bomb hit a vehicle of an Egyptian diplomat in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi. No one was hurt.

Maged al-Urfi, a Benghazi internal security spokesman, said the explosive hit the car of the deputy at the Egyptian consulate in an upscale Benghazi neighborhood that houses foreign diplomats.

The diplomat was at home at the time Monday, al-Urfi said, adding that a small amount of explosives was in the device, not enough to injure passengers.

“This is meant to send a message, not hurt,” he said. He declined to elaborate.

Comments »

Post Your Comment »

Social Media »